Ask Spiritual Questions
We are a friendly, respectful gathering of diverse people who seek to better understand or explain the Christian faith. While the discussion leader will present from a more traditional protestant perspective, treating Scripture as reliable and authoritative, all are welcome regardless of belief. Whether you would like to grow deeper in your faith or are simply interested in the discussion, we hope you join us in our spiritual journey.
It is natural to have questions. Just ASQ.
Beginning 9 Sept 2019, this new discussion group will meet at 1pm Mondays when the Eanes school district is in session. Send us an email
to save your free seat in the room.
Each week we will discuss one of the topics listed below, always looking for the application to our lives. Topics for the Fall semester:
- Trinity: How is there only one God if the Father, Jesus, and Holy Spirit are each God? Isn't that really worshipping three gods? Is it even in the Bible? Wasn't it invented hundreds of years after Christ? Isn't it a logical contradiction? Can you make any sense of it? What are the practical implications for me?
- Homosexuality: What does the Bible say about same-sex orientation? Same-sex behavior? Same-sex marriage? How do we know whether it applies in today's culture? How can we, of opposite-sex and same-sex orientation, love well our neighbors who experience same-sex attraction?
- Sexism: Does God favor men over women? Does the Bible restrict the roles of women in church or society? Is the evangelical community sexist? What applies today?
- Hiddenness: Why doesn't God make his existence obvious? How can he expect us to believe when he hides from us? How can he be good? Why does he hide?
- Hell: How could a good God send people to hell? Do you really believe hell is a real place? What about those who have never heard the gospel?
- Miracles: How could God break the scientific laws of nature? Aren't the stories in the Bible just myths? The sun stood still?!? A dead man buried for days returned to life?! Why aren't there obvious miracles today?
- Evidence: What is the historical evidence, external to the Bible, for the claim that Jesus rose from the dead? That defies reason!
- Prayer: Why can't you just pray away cancer, if your God exists? If God knows everything including the future, what is the point of prayer anyway?
- Evil: How could a good all-powerful God allow this much suffering and evil?
- Religions: How can you say Christianity is the only way? Isn't that arrogant and intolerant? What about people who grow up in Muslim or pagan cultures?
- Genocide: How could a good God command genocide, as described in the Old Testament? Isn't it clear the Israelites wrote that to justify their atrocities?
- Wrath: The God in the Old Testament is full of wrath, while Jesus in the New Testament is full of love. Doesn't this show they are not the same?
Send us an email
to add a topic or vote for the one discussed next. Future possibilities:
- "I read there are more mistakes in the Bible than actual words. How can you trust it?"
- "Doesn't science show that belief in God is silly?"
- "How can you worship a God that describes himself as jealous and vengeful?"
- "What about the dinosaurs and fossil evidence for human evolution?"
- "What about the lost books in the Bible? What about the other books that aren't included?"
- "What's with all those strange Old Testament laws?"
- "When King David had an affair, why did God kill his son? How is that fair?"
- "Why did God permit slavery even in the New Testament?"
- "How could a good God tell Abraham to murder his own son?"
- "What happens to people who commit suicide?"
- "Didn't politics determine which texts were included in the Bible?"
- "Who was the historical Jesus?"
- "What does this Scripture mean?" (various passages)
Are you interested in attending our gatherings? Would you like to be on our email distribution list? Do you have a spiritual question you would like discussed? To contact us, email us at the below address (note the "Q" and ".org"):